Homemade Everything Bagels
I had some of my high school friends visit me at college this weekend and I wanted to spoil them by serving homemade bagels for breakfast. My boyfriend requested everything bagels, because they're his favorite, and I also made this cinnamon sugar bagel recipe.
Both kinds of bagels were a huge hit! They're delicious, especially toasted with a smear of cream cheese.
You may not think it, but bagels are actually extremely easy to make, even by hand. You definitely don't need a stand mixer to make bagels.
Your family and friends will be so impressed when you serve them bagels made from scratch. There is nothing better than your house smelling like fresh bagels and then getting to devour them in the morning, or even for lunch as a bagel sandwich!
I hope you try these bagels at least once, you'll never buy bagels from a store again.
Homemade Everything Bagels:
(recipe slightly adapted from: http://www.abeautifulmess.com)
1 1/4 cup warm water (80-90 degrees)
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
one package active dry yeast
3 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 teaspoons poppy seeds
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cornmeal
1 egg, beaten
- In a bowl combine the water and sugar until the sugar has dissolved. Pour the yeast on top and let it sit for about 5 minutes. In a larger bowl combine the flour and the 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Pour the yeast mixture into the flour and stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Once the dough has become crumbly, pour it onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes, until it has become elastic and smooth.
- Lightly grease a bowl and put the dough into the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 hour, until it has doubled in size.
- After an hour, take your dough out of the bowl and break into 6 equal sized pieces. Roll the pieces into balls and poke a hole through the center with your thumb. Shape into bagels and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and working in groups of 2-3, place the bagels into the boiling water. Boil on one side for 45 seconds, flip and boil on the other side for 45 seconds. Remove the bagels from the water and place on a paper towel to dry.
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Spray two baking sheets with olive oil cooking spray and sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of cornmeal onto each baking sheet.
- Place the bagels on the baking sheets and brush with the egg. Combine the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, caraway seeds, sea salt, onion powder and garlic powder in a small bowl and sprinkle the mixture onto the tops of the bagels.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown. Store in an airtight container for 4-5 days. Enjoy!