Sweet Potato Cheddar and Chicken Sausage Shepherds Pie
This is not your typical shepherds pie recipe. Loaded with nutrients from the sweet potato, carrots, peppers and black beans, this is definitely a guilt free shepherds pie.
I love cooking meals that do not require making side dishes. This meal has everything you need all in one dish. Starch from the potatoes, protein from the beans and sausage and lots of vegetables.
You can use whatever sausage you would like. I chose to use apple chardonnay chicken sausage from Trader Joe's. It was delicious in this dish.
The next time you want a comforting shepherds pie, turn to this healthier recipe. You won't be disappointed!
Sweet Potato Cheddar and Chicken Sausage Shepherds Pie:
(recipe slightly adapted from: http://www.halfbakedharvest.com)
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 chicken sausage links, ground
1 red pepper, diced
1 orange pepper, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
2 medium sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup almond milk
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon honey
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Prick the skin of the sweet potatoes with a fork and place them in the microwave for about 5-7 minutes on high until tender.
- Scoop out the flesh of the potatoes into a bowl. Add the milk and butter and mash. Add the cinnamon, honey, salt, pepper and shard cheddar cheese. Mash until well combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and spray with olive oil cooking spray. Add the onions and saute for 5 minutes, until tender. Add the sausage, red pepper, orange pepper, carrots and jalapeno. Cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the chicken broth and tomato paste. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add the black beans and cilantro, cook for another minute.
- Spray a medium baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Add the sausage filling to the dish and the spoon the mashed potatoes on top. Bake for 20 minutes and serve!