Baked Pumpkin Donuts with Greek Yogurt Frosting
My poor donut pan has not been used in months, so I decided to wipe the dust off of it and try a new baked donut recipe this morning. I know it isn't pumpkin season anymore, but I stocked up on pureed pumpkin before fall was over and I woke up craving it today.
I am always cautious when choosing a baked donut recipe to try because a lot of times baked donuts can come out very dry. This recipe, however, yielded very moist and flavorful donuts.
The spices and pumpkin flavors really shine through in this recipe and you can choose whatever you want to top these donuts with. You could even make a few different toppings and make a fun donut topping bar for your family to decorate their donuts with.
I chose to top my donuts with a frosting made from Greek yogurt and peanut butter. I also put some mini chocolate chips on top. It was an extremely delicious way to start my morning. My boyfriend topped his donuts with some simple melted chocolate. You could also do powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar.
Baked Pumpkin Donuts with Greek Yogurt Frosting:
(recipe slightly adapted from: http://www.preventionrd.com/)
1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325° and spray a donut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the pumpkin, brown sugar and eggs. Then whisk in the almond milk, olive oil and vanilla extract.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula until just combined. Do not over mix the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the donut pan until just at the top and bake for 15-17 minutes, until cooked through. Remove the donuts from the pan and place on a cooling rack.
- In a small bowl mix together the Greek yogurt and peanut butter. Once the donuts have cooled slightly, frost them with the Greek yogurt mixture and top with mini chocolate chips.