Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Gratin
This is the most creamy and rich gratin I have ever made. I used a recipe out of my Avoca Cafe Cookbook that I bought while in Ireland over the summer. The ingredients are simple, yet so rich and flavorful.
This gratin is made from wholesome and natural ingredients, however it is pretty high in calories. If you're looking to treat yourself after a hard day at work some time this week, this is the meal to treat yourself with. A plate of this dish is worth every delicious calorie.
After all, what could be better on a cold winter's night than creamy chicken and broccoli baked with a cheesy breadcrumb topping? I can't think of many other dishes better sounding than that. You will love this dish, both my boyfriend and I went back for seconds. It's that good! Enjoy!
Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Gratin:
(original recipe from: Avoca Cafe Cookbook)
4 chicken breasts
1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 sprigs parsley
1 bay leaf
1/2 pint heavy cream
1 large head broccoli, cut into florets
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup mixed Italian cheeses (I used parmesan, gruyere and provolone)
1/4 cup roux (1/4 cup butter with 4 tablespoons flour)
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350° and butter a large baking dish.
- In a small saucepan melt 1/4 cup of butter and whisk in the 4 tablespoons flour. Continue to whisk over medium heat until the mixture is a peanut butter color. Remove from the heat and set aside. This is the roux.
- Place the onion, carrots, parsley, bay leaf and chicken breasts in a large saucepan and fill with enough water just to cover the chicken. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, cook the broccoli in a pot of boiling water until just tender. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, remove the chicken from the pan and dice into pieces. Strain the water the chicken was cooked in into a large saucepan and discard the vegetables.
- Simmer the water until reduced by half and stir in the cream. Whisk in the roux a little at a time until the sauce becomes the thickness you desire. Stir the broccoli and chicken into the sauce and transfer to the baking dish.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, cheese and 2 tablespoons of melted butter and top the gratin with the mixture. Bake for 20 minutes and serve.