Baked Tilapia Parcel with Potatoes and Carrots with Fennel and Toasted Hazelnuts
I recently returned from a wonderful trip to Ireland with a cookbook in hand. I bought the cookbook at a beautiful store called Avoca that also had its own cafe. All of the recipes that I have made from the cookbook have been delicious, including this baked tilapia recipe.
I definitely recommend pairing the baked fish with the carrot and fennel salad. The fresh, light and slightly sweet salad paired perfectly with the mild fish. The entire meal was extremely light and healthy and I look forward to the next time I get to enjoy it (which may be as soon as next week!)
Baked Tilapia Parcel with Potatoes:
(recipe adapted from: A Year at Avoca Cookbook)
4 fillets tilapia
8 green onions, thinly sliced
2 large potatoes, peeled and diced small
2 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup white wine
2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
2 tbsp parsley, chopped
20 asparagus spears
fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium high heat. Add the green onions and potatoes and saute until the potatoes are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the chopped garlic, white wine and dill. Cook for about 4 minutes until the wine has reduced. Season with fresh ground black pepper and stir in the chopped parsley.
- Transfer mixture to the refrigerator to cool completely.
- Boil water in a saucepan and add the asparagus. Cook for about 4 minutes and then immediately transfer to a bowl of ice water.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Take 4 sheets of parchment paper and place a fillet of tilapia in the middle of each sheet. Top with the potato mixture and then top each with 5 asparagus spears.
- Tightly roll up the edges of the parchment paper and enclose the fillets in order for them to cook inside of the parchment paper. Place the 4 parchment paper packages onto a baking sheet and place in the oven.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, or until the fish is flaky and cooked through.
Carrots with Fennel and Toasted Hazelnuts:
(recipe adapted from: http://www.thevintagemixer.com)
1 lb carrots, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
1 small fennel bulb, cored and cut into slices
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons raw honey
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
3 tablespoons hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Place the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 5 minutes. Once cooled, chop the hazelnuts.
- In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil. Add the carrots and fennel and season with salt. Saute until the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the white wine vinegar and honey to the pan and saute until most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the paprika and remove from the heat.
- Add the carrot and fennel mixture to a serving bowl and stir in the hazelnuts.