Cilantro, Walnut and Jalapeno Pesto



This is the first year that I decided to plant a jalapeno pepper plant in my garden. I only planted one plant, but it is yielding many jalapenos at a rapid rate. Every day is seems I pick one or two ripe jalapenos. I was getting desperate to find a recipe to start using up my jalapenos before they spoiled.

I always seem to have cilantro in my refrigerator and thought that making a pesto out of my leftover cilantro and jalapenos would be a great way to use up both. Walnuts add the perfect nutty flavor to this pesto and I happened to have walnut oil on hand which I incorporated, along with extra virgin olive oil, into the pesto.

This pesto would go well with just about anything you would like to put it on. I had it as a snack on some fresh tomatoes and it was delicious! I'm thinking of creating a breakfast recipe using tomatoes, eggs and the pesto which I'm sure I'll be posting within the next few days.



Cilantro, Walnut and Jalapeno Pesto:

2 tablespoons walnut oil (optional)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups cilantro
1/2 cup walnuts
1-2 jalapenos (depending on how spicy you would like it)
2 garlic cloves (peeled)
juice of 1/2 lime
  1. Deseed and devein the jalapenos.
  2. Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and blend until incorporated but still crunchy and textured.


Comments

Popular Posts