Kale and Tomato Omelet with Homemade Salsa



My boyfriend threw me a 21st birthday party over the weekend and I made homemade dips for the guests. One of the popular dips was a great homemade salsa recipe that I found recently while searching blogs. 

I ended up with some leftover salsa and decided to put it on my omelet that I made today. I love to pair spicy sauces with my omelets. The salsa has a nice mild spice to it from the jalapenos I picked from my garden.

Omelets are such a great low calorie but protein and veggie packed breakfast, lunch or dinner that are quick and easy to make. I eat one almost every day. I packed mine full of kale, tomatoes and onion today, but you can add any veggies that you have lying around in the fridge.

Kale and Tomato Omelet:

2 egg whites
2 eggs
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup kale, chopped
1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
2 tablespoons feta cheese (I used Trader Joe's Fat Free Feta)
salt
pepper
  1. Coat a large saute pan and a small saute pan with cooking spray and heat both pans over medium high heat.
  2. Whisk the 2 eggs and 2 egg whites together and pour into the large saute pan.
  3. Once the omelet has begun to cook, add the feta cheese and spread over the entire surface of the omelet.
  4. Add the diced onion to the small saute pan and cook for about 5 minutes. Then add the kale and cook for about another 4 minutes. Lastly, add the cherry tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook for another 4 minutes and remove from heat.
  5. Add the vegetable mixture to the omelet and once the omelet has cooked through, about 8-10 minutes, flip and slide onto a plate.
  6. Serve with a side of homemade salsa.
Calories per omelet (with fat free feta cheese): 207 calories


Homemade Salsa:
(original recipe from: http://www.annies-eats.com)

2 jalapeno peppers, deseeded and chopped
4 cloves garlic, halved
2 large tomatoes
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp cumin
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup cilantro
1 lime, juiced
  1. In a food processor combine the jalapenos and garlic. Process until finely chopped.
  2. Add all of the other ingredients to the food processor. Pulse until the vegetables are coarsely chopped and have reached your desired size.
  3. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

Comments

Popular Posts