Kale and Tomato Omelet with Homemade Salsa
My boyfriend threw me a 21st birthday party over the weekend and I made homemade dips for the guests. One of the popular dips was a great homemade salsa recipe that I found recently while searching blogs.
I ended up with some leftover salsa and decided to put it on my omelet that I made today. I love to pair spicy sauces with my omelets. The salsa has a nice mild spice to it from the jalapenos I picked from my garden.
Omelets are such a great low calorie but protein and veggie packed breakfast, lunch or dinner that are quick and easy to make. I eat one almost every day. I packed mine full of kale, tomatoes and onion today, but you can add any veggies that you have lying around in the fridge.
Kale and Tomato Omelet:
2 egg whites
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup kale, chopped
1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
2 tablespoons feta cheese (I used Trader Joe's Fat Free Feta)
- Coat a large saute pan and a small saute pan with cooking spray and heat both pans over medium high heat.
- Whisk the 2 eggs and 2 egg whites together and pour into the large saute pan.
- Once the omelet has begun to cook, add the feta cheese and spread over the entire surface of the omelet.
- Add the diced onion to the small saute pan and cook for about 5 minutes. Then add the kale and cook for about another 4 minutes. Lastly, add the cherry tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook for another 4 minutes and remove from heat.
- Add the vegetable mixture to the omelet and once the omelet has cooked through, about 8-10 minutes, flip and slide onto a plate.
- Serve with a side of homemade salsa.
Calories per omelet (with fat free feta cheese): 207 calories
(original recipe from: http://www.annies-eats.com)
2 jalapeno peppers, deseeded and chopped
4 cloves garlic, halved
2 large tomatoes
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp cumin
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup cilantro
1 lime, juiced
- In a food processor combine the jalapenos and garlic. Process until finely chopped.
- Add all of the other ingredients to the food processor. Pulse until the vegetables are coarsely chopped and have reached your desired size.
- Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.