Mango Coconut Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes and A New Green Juice Recipe
I'm pretty routine when it comes to what I eat for breakfast. Most nights I will put a bowl of Bob's Red Mill Muesli in the fridge with almond milk to soak overnight and I add berries to it in the morning.
I needed to cook something different this morning because I recently ran out of berries to put in my muesli, and I won't eat muesli without berries. I decided on cooking a vegan buttermilk pancake recipe and adding my own flavors to it.
I had mango that I needed to use up in my fridge and I love the combination of mango and coconut together. So, it was decided that mango coconut buttermilk pancakes it would be for my out of the routine breakfast.
I also made one of my favorite green juice recipes that I will share along with the pancake recipe.
Mango Coconut Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes:
(recipe adapted from: http://thediva-dish.com)
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or white whole wheat flour)
2 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chia seeds
6 ounces water
2 cups almond milk
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup agave (or honey)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 mango, sliced
1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Combine the chia seeds and water and set aside.
- Combine the almond milk and vinegar and set aside.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the almond milk mixture, chia seed mixture, coconut oil, agave and vanilla to the sifted dry ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt a teaspoon of coconut oil in the skillet.
- Add 1/4 cup of batter to the skillet and add the mango slices and shredded coconut to the top of the pancake. Once one side is browned, flip and cook for a couple of minutes on the other side.
- Top with maple syrup or honey and enjoy!
Yields: 12 pancakes
Calories per pancake: 160 calories
Kale, Apple and Carrot Green Juice:
2 cups kale
1 large fuji or gala apple
2 celery sticks
1 lemon, peeled
1/2 cup parsley
1 orange, peeled
- Add all of the ingredients to a juicer.
- Pour the juice into a glass with ice and drink up!