Paleo Chocolate Shortcakes

These chocolate shortcakes are gluten and sugar free, yet so delicious!

I do not follow the paleo diet but I'm constantly baking paleo desserts for myself and my friends. I love the idea of baking without sugar and without gluten. I always have something sweet after dinner and it is a good feeling to know that I'm not loading my system up with sugar a few hours before I go to bed.

I had a good friend over last night and wanted to bake something incase our sweet tooths kicked in at some point during the night (which mine always does). She has expressed to me in the past that she notices she does not feel very well after consuming gluten. I wanted to bake something paleo and delicious for her and myself to enjoy. After searching for a while I came across this recipe for paleo chocolate shortcakes on the blog Elana's Pantry and immediately knew I had to bake them.

The shortcakes were a big hit with my friend and I hope you bake these for yourself and possibly one of your friends. They will be shocked to learn that they are sugar and gluten free!

Paleo Chocolate Shortcake Recipe:
(original recipe from: http://www.elanaspantry.com/)

1 1/2 cups almond flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 cup coconut flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 eggs
1/2 cup agave or honey


  1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
  2. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl combine the flours, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda.
  4. In a smaller bowl combine the eggs and agave (or honey).
  5. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry. 
  6. Using a 2 tablespoon scoop, scoop the batter onto the lined baking sheet.
  7. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the shortcakes have cooked through.
  8. Put the shortcakes onto a cooling rack and let cool completely.

To serve:
Slice the shortcakes in half and either:
  1. whip some heavy cream with powdered sugar into whipped cream or...
  2. open a can of full fat coconut milk and whip the thick coconut milk until fluffy
Put a dollop of whichever whipped cream you decide to use onto one half of the shortcake and top with strawberries. 

Place the other half of the shortcake on top of the whipped cream and berries and top with more whipped cream and berries. 

Eat and enjoy!

Calories per chocolate shortcake (without whipped cream or strawberries): 164 calories








Comments

Popular Posts