Caprese Quinoa Bake
This meal is such an easy and nutritious weeknight meal that will leave with you leftovers for the next night. I chose to cook this meal for my dinner the other night because I could use the fresh cherry tomatoes and basil growing in my garden. The tomatoes and basil add such a sweetness and freshness to this dish that goes so well with the rich, melty cheese.
Packed with protein from the cheese and quinoa, you won't even need to prepare a meat to go along with this. I ate this meal with a side of my homemade Rosemary Sea Salt Focaccia Bread and it was delicious! I hope you enjoy!
Caprese Quinoa Bake:
(recipe adapted from: http://www.halfbakedharvest.com)
2 cups quinoa, cooked
1 cup pasta sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/3 cup half and half
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
1 cup mozzarella, grated and divided
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1 large bunch fresh basil, cut into ribbons
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Heat the tomato sauce and tomato paste over low heat in a large saucepan. Once heated through, stir in the half and half, parmesan, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and stir in the cooked quinoa.
- Fold in half of the mozzarella and 1/2 cup of the cherry tomatoes. Chop 6 basil leaves and add those into the mixture.
- Spray a 9x9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and pour in the quinoa mixture. Top with the other half of the mozzarella and the rest of the cherry tomatoes.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes and then turn on the broiler and broil for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with fresh basil leaves. Allow to sit for 5 minutes and then serve.
Yields: 4-6 servings
Calories per serving: 222 calories