Steamed Tilapia with Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
I cook fish about once or twice a week. I love discovering all of the different ways there are to prepare it and this method makes the fish extremely flaky and delicious. Steaming the fish in the oven with white wine locks so much moisture into the fish.
The pesto that pairs with this fish is beyond flavorful and delicious. Adding almonds to the pesto provides a nice crunch to the tender fish. I served this dish with a side of smashed parmesan potatoes. Any kind of starch would pair nicely with this dish.
It's great to know that I'm serving my family such healthy yet delicious dishes. My dad is working on losing weight and unless he ate a whole batch of the pesto and fish, there is no way this dish would sabotage his weight loss goals. You can feel good serving this to your family!
Steamed Tilapia with Sun Dried Tomato Pesto:
(recipe adapted from: http://www.marthastewart.com)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 scallions, white parts only, finely chopped
4 tilapia fillets
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/4 cup white wine
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
3/4 cup sun dried tomatoes in oil, drained
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup sliced blanched almonds
1 cup hot water
- Place all of the pesto ingredients in a food processor and blend on high for about 1 minute.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Pour the olive oil in a large skillet. Season the fish with the scallions, salt, pepper, oregano, lemon zest and orange zest. Place the fish in the skillet and pour the white wine over the fish.
- Top the fish with the pieces of butter and bake for about 15 minutes, until flaky and cooked through.
- Transfer the fish to a plate and keep the juices in the skillet. Place the skillet over low heat and add the pesto. Whisk until heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil and parsley.
- Divide the pesto among four plates and top with the fish. Serve and enjoy!