Tomato, Corn and Zucchini Galette
This galette is such a versatile, delicious and easy dish. I made it last night to serve as a side dish alongside baked haddock. I easily could have eaten a nice big piece as my entire meal.
The homemade dough this galette is made up of is extremely light and also slightly sweet, yet tart from the butter and sour cream that is incorporated into it. My family was raving about this for hours after eating it.
This morning my mom had the brilliant idea of frying an egg and topping the leftover galette with it to serve as breakfast. It was a great way to use up the leftovers.
This galette is not only delicious and healthy, it is also so beautiful and will have your family in awe when you serve it!
Tomato, Corn and Zucchini Galette:
(original recipe from: http://smittenkitchen.com)
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup ice water
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon water
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 cups cherry tomatoes
1 ear corn, cut from cob
1 small zucchini, diced
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Whisk the flour and salt in a large bowl. Sprinkle the pieces of cold butter over the flour and using a pastry blender or your fingertips, work the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse sand.
- In a small bowl mix together the sour cream, lemon juice and ice water and add the mixture to the flour. With a wooden spoon mix until a ball forms. Wrap the ball in plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour.
- Heat a saute pan over high heat and add the cherry tomatoes. Cover until you hear them start to burst, about 5 minutes. Turn down the heat to medium and add the zucchini. Saute for two minutes and then add the corn. Cook for another minute and add the scallions. Turn off the heat and season with salt and pepper. Spread the mixture out onto a plate so that it cools faster.
- Heat the oven to 400°. On a floured surface roll the dough into a 12 inch round (it doesn't have to be perfect). Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle the vegetable mixture with half of the parmesan cheese. Spoon the vegetable mixture into the center of the galette. Sprinkle with almost all of the remaining parmesan, leaving about 1 tablespoon to sprinkle on the crust.
- Pleat the edges over the filling. Combine the egg yolk with the 1 teaspoon of water and brush over the crust edges. Sprinkle the crust with the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the edges are golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes, slice and serve!