Apple Oatmeal Muffins
I love baking on Sundays so that I have healthy and yummy snacks for the week. I came across this apple oatmeal muffin yesterday and thought it was the perfect fall treat to bake.
These muffins are made with simple ingredients and packed with tons of nutrients from both the fresh apples and applesauce. Using coconut milk and coconut oil also adds healthy fats to the muffins. You definitely do not have to feel guilty after eating these moist and flavorful muffins.
Crisp apples, warm cinnamon and nutmeg, chewy whole wheat muffins, that's my idea of a great breakfast or snack (or even dessert with a little vanilla ice cream).
Apple Oatmeal Muffins:
(original recipe from: http://cookieandkate.com)
1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ginger
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup light coconut milk with juice of half a lemon
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 fuji apples, chopped
sugar and nutmeg, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and set aside
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger.
- In a separate bowl, combine the applesauce, coconut milk and lemon mixture, brown sugar, coconut oil, egg and vanilla extract.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in the chopped apple pieces.
- Fill the muffin cups with the batter. Top with a pinch of nutmeg and a pinch of sugar.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes until cooked through.