Broccoli Cheddar and Potato Soup
This soup is one of my go to recipes when I want to cook something simple, yet filling and delicious. It is a favorite among my roommates and I make it often starting in the fall all the way through the winter.
I love broccoli cheddar soup by itself, but adding potatoes to the basic broccoli cheddar recipe adds an extra element of heartiness and texture. All of the veggies in this dish are so tender and they pack the soup with nutrients.
Serve this soup with a hearty piece of whole grain bread to use for dipping and you have the perfect weeknight meal. You will also most likely have leftovers throughout the week because this recipe makes a nice big batch.
Broccoli Cheddar and Potato Soup:
(original recipe from: http://luluthebaker.blogspot.com)
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 onion, chopped
3 carrots, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups vegetable broth
2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup water
2/3 cup almond milk
2 cups broccoli, chopped
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add in the onion and carrot and saute until tender. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir together the flour and water and add to the pot. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the milk and broccoli and cook for another 5-7 minutes, until broccoli is tender.
- Stir in the cheese and cook until melted. Serve and enjoy!