Eggplant Parmesan Mac and Cheese
Plan on making this amazing meal for dinner tomorrow night. This simple meal is incredibly delicious and full of flavor. What's better than gooey cheese, breadcrumb crusted eggplant and pasta? I can't think of many things at this moment.
Lightened up a little from the original recipe I used whole wheat fusili, unsweeted almond milk in the cream sauce and part skim mozzarella cheese to top off the casserole.
This recipe makes about 6-8 servings, so I am very excited that I only have 2 roommates and therefore have leftovers for tomorrow night! I probably could have eaten a whole second bowl of this pasta dish, but restrained myself. But seriously, it is that good!
Eggplant Parmesan Mac and Cheese:
(recipe adapted from: http://familystylefood.com)
1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup Asiago cheese, grated
1 lb whole wheat fusili, cooked
1 cup marinara sauce
3/4 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 450°.
- Pour a layer of olive oil onto a baking sheet to coat the bottom of the sheet.
- Whisk together the egg, salt, pepper and garlic in one bowl. Place the breadcrumbs in a separate bowl.
- Dredge the eggplant pieces in the egg mixture then coat in the breadcrumbs. Place the eggplant pieces on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Flip the eggplant pieces and bake for another 10 minutes. Lower the heat to 400°.
- While the eggplant is baking, make the sauce. Melt the butter in a sauce pan and whisk in the flour. Then, slowly whisk in the almond milk and continue to whisk until the sauce has thickened, about 7-10 minutes.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper. Take off the heat and stir in the Asiago cheese. Stir the pasta into the sauce and transfer to a buttered casserole dish.
- Top with the eggplant, marinara and mozzarella cheese. Bake for 15 minutes until the cheese has melted and serve!