Roasted Butternut White Pizza with Prosciutto and Kale
This pizza is amazing! I got the inspiration for it from this roasted cauliflower pizza with bechamel and prosciutto recipe. I had some leftover butternut squash in my fridge and decided to use it instead of the cauliflower.
I visited the local farmer's market yesterday and left with a giant stock of kale (roots and all). So, to start using up the kale I thought it would be a great and crispy addition to the pizza. When baked, kale gets very crisp and is so delicious.
I lightened up the bechamel sauce recipe by making it with unsweetened almond milk instead of whole milk. You also save calories because you end up with leftover bechamel, so you really don't end up putting that much on the pizza anyway.
I had some smoked gouda and asiago on hand and thought they would go nicely with all of the flavors on the pizza. In my opinion they were the perfect cheeses for this pizza, but you can use whatever cheeses you like.
Roasted Butternut White Pizza with Prosciutto and Kale:
(recipe inspired from: http://www.seasonsandsuppers.ca)
1 package whole wheat pizza dough (I used Trader Joe's)
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter
pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups butternut squash, diced
2 teaspoons cornmeal
2 slices prosciutto
1/2 cup kale, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup smoked gouda, grated
1/4 cup asiago cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and put the diced butternut squash onto the sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, until tender.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and slowly whisk in the almond milk. Whisk until the bechamel becomes thickened, about 7-10 minutes. Stir in the nutmeg, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- When the squash is done, increase the oven temperature to 450°. Using the same baking sheet, lightly spray it again and sprinkle the cornmeal over the bottom of the sheet.
- Roll out your dough into a rectangle and transfer to the baking sheet. Spread the dough to the edges of the baking sheet. Top with the bechamel, smoked gouda and asiago.
- Top with the roasted butternut, prosciutto, garlic and kale.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes and let cool for about 5 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!