Barbecue Chicken Calzones
These BBQ chicken calzones are truly mouth watering and delicious. Loaded with tangy BBQ sauce, melty cheddar and mozzarella cheeses and slightly smoky chicken, these calzones were a hit in my house!
I wasn't too happy with how the pictures of the calzones came out, but I decided I have to post this recipe anyway and share it with all of you. Seriously, these are amazing.
Look at all that cheese oozing out! I'm already craving these again and I just ate them the other night.
Not only are these calzones delicious, they are a lot easier to make than you make think. They are a little time consuming because you need to roll out each piece of dough, but I find it fun to stuff each calzone full of yummy ingredients.
Instead of pizza night, have a calzone night and make these calzones, you won't be disappointed!
Barbecue Chicken Calzones:
(original recipe from: http://www.thecandidappetite.com)
1 store bought whole wheat pizza dough
1 cup barbecue sauce
2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 red onion, diced
1 egg, whisked with 1 teaspoon water
2 teaspoons corn meal
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Spray 2 baking sheets with olive oil and coat the sheets with 1 teaspoon corn meal each.
- In a small bowl, combine both of the cheeses and set aside.
- Season both sides of the chicken with the salt, pepper and paprika. Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook for 7-10 minutes on both sides, until the chicken is cooked through. Slice the chicken into pieces and set aside.
- Separate the pizza dough into 3-4 equal sized balls. On a lightly floured surface roll out each ball into a thin circle.
- Spread some of the barbecue sauce on each rolled dough, leaving a thin border around the edges. On one half of each circle add the cheeses, some pieces of chicken, and some red onion. Fold the other half of the circle over and crimp the edges to prevent the filling from falling out.
- Put 2 calzones each onto the baking sheets and brush with the egg wash. Cut small slits in the tops to let the steam escape. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown.