Healthy Pumpkin Cranberry Waffles



I made some pumpkin puree yesterday and decided to use some of it in my breakfast this morning. I found a healthy pumpkin waffle recipe and decided to add my own tart twist to them by adding in some fresh cranberries I bought at the farmer's market last week.


I try to take advantage of fall flavors as much as I can before the short season ends, and these waffles are full of pumpkin and spice flavor. I love cranberries and they add a nice subtle tartness to the sweet waffle.


I definitely recommend making your own pumpkin puree. It is so much easier than I thought and you get the extra bonus of having pumpkin seeds to roast and snack on. Here is the link I used to make my own pumpkin puree.


I'm also excited to share with you all my farmer's market finds from today. I went without a list for the first time and I am going to attempt to create recipes throughout the week with the fresh ingredients I found.

I bought some zucchini, acorn squash, peaches, cranberry beans (which I'm very excited to try), lettuce, baby potatoes, jalapenos, garlic, onions, crusty french bread and fresh chicken thighs. Yum!

Healthy Pumpkin Cranberry Waffles:
(recipe adapted from: http://janieskitchen.com)

1 cup white whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup almond milk
1/2 cup pumpkin puree 
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup fresh cranberries
  1. Heat up a waffle iron.
  2. In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and cloves.
  3. In a separate bowl combine the milk, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, coconut oil and egg.
  4. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined. Fold in the cranberries.
  5. Spray the waffle iron with coconut oil non-stick spray and spoon about 1/4 cup of batter into each well. Cook for about 8-10 minutes, until cooked to your liking. Serve with some syrup or greek yogurt.

Comments

Popular Posts