Jalapeno Cheddar Bread
This incredibly easy to bake bread is full of jalapeno flavor, without much of the heat. Using pickled jalapenos greatly cuts down on the spiciness fresh jalapenos usually have.
I baked this bread to go along with this turkey plantain lasagna recipe. They went great together. You can also enjoy a piece of this bread as a snack or get creative and use it as a sandwich bread.
This bread is not only delicious, it's healthy too! Made with a combination of whole wheat flours, egg whites, greek yogurt and almond milk, this bread has tons of protein and flavor.
I'm sure I'll be snacking on this bread for the next few days. It is a great healthy snack to have on hand. I hope you enjoy it!
Jalapeno Cheddar Bread:
(original recipe from: http://www.peanutbutterandpeppers.com)
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
3 egg whites
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon almond milk
1/2 cup light cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup pickled jalapenos, drained and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and garlic powder in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl combine the yogurt, egg whites and almond milk.
- Stir the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix to combine. Fold in the cheese and jalapenos.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 40-50 minutes until baked through. Cool for 5 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack until completely cooled.