Oil Pulling


 

I have been getting cavities for as long as I can remember. I'll admit that I was not always a diligent flosser and would sometimes go to bed without brushing my teeth, but I think most of us have been guilty of the same things at one point or another.

I had FOUR cavities filled this afternoon, and have more that I need to get filled. My dentist put me on an intense, and expensive, regimen to kill the high levels of bad bacteria in my mouth that have been causing tooth decay and cavities.


I started the regimen about a month ago and noticed that my teeth became extremely yellow. I learned that the product causes teeth staining and that if I continue using it, for the next 9 months I will have yellow teeth that I will constantly need to get polished. Ya, not going to happen.


I was watching Dr. Oz yesterday and to my luck they discussed oil pulling. Oil pulling is the process of taking a tablespoon of organic and natural sesame, sunflower or coconut oil and slowly swishing it in your mouth for 10-20 minutes in the morning before eating breakfast. The oil pulls the toxins and bad bacteria from your mouth and body and you spit all the bad stuff out after you're done swishing. Here is a list of benefits of oil pulling (from http://blog.integrativenutrition.com/2013/04/the-health-benefits-of-oil-pulling):


  • Reducing inflammation
  • Seasonal allergies relief
  • Headache relief
  • Reducing chest congestion
  • Detoxifying the body of harmful metals
  • Certain skin conditions like eczema
  • Supports healthy kidney function
  • May relieve ulcers and diseases of the stomach

  • Cavities and gingivitis
  • Plaque
  • Bad breath
  • Bleeding gums
  • Sensitive teeth
  • Dryness of lips, mouth, and throat
I am a big believer in holistic health and I am very hopeful that oil pulling will benefit my oral and overall health. I am going to start it tomorrow morning and keep you all updated on the effects (or lack of) effects that the oil pulling has. I am not promoting oil pulling as a cure or treatment for anything and if you are interested in it I suggest you research it for yourself and decide if it is the right regimen for you. Here are a few links on oil pulling:

Comments

Popular Posts