Sea Salt Bourbon Bars
I typically try to bake low sugar, healthy desserts. But, today I felt like baking something that's not so good for you. Sometimes you just need to treat yourself.
These delicious and decadent bars are full of Ghirardelli chocolate chips, butter, brown sugar and bourbon! If you're going to indulge, you might as well indulge in a dessert made with bourbon!
I can't wait to snack on one of these amazing bars tonight while enjoying the World Series game. Go Sox!
Sea Salt Bourbon Bars:
(original recipe from: http://thevanillabeanblog.com)
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoon bourbon
3/4 cup Ghirardelli 60% chocolate chips, chopped
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Spray a 9 inch square pan with cooking spray and line the pan with parchment paper, leaving some over the sides to make it easy to lift the paper and bars out of the pan.
- In a saucepan, heat the butter and brown sugar and cook until the brown sugar dissolves. Stir occasionally to make sure the mixture does not burn. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl combine the flour and baking powder, set aside.
- Once the butter and brown sugar mixture is cool, add the egg, salt, vanilla and bourbon. Mix with hand mixer until combined. Stir in the flour mixture and then stir in the chocolate pieces.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and smooth out. Sprinkle the sea salt all over the top. Bake for 20-22 minutes, until it is cooked through. Allow to cool in the pan.
- Once cool. remove from the pan and slice into 9 pieces. Enjoy!