Vegan Cornbread



I love baking cornbread and trying all different types of cornbread recipes. Every time I think I find my favorite cornbread recipe, I try another one that ends up being better than the last. This particular recipe may be my new favorite.


This recipe is not only vegan, but there is also no refined sugar added and canola oil is replaced with coconut oil. The cornbread comes out moist and crumbly, and is so sweet and delicious with a little bit of softened butter spread on top.

As I am now writing this post I have to control myself from not going over and snacking on pieces of leftover cornbread as it stares at me from across the kitchen. I may have to have just a small piece very soon.

Vegan Cornbread:
(recipe slightly adapted from: http://www.nutritionistinthekitch.com)

2 cups cornmeal
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
  2. Combine the milk and vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl combine the cornmeal, flour, salt and baking powder.
  4. Add the maple syrup and coconut oil to the milk mixture and whisk until bubbly and foamy.
  5. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix to combine. Pour the batter into a greased glass or loaf pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, until cooked through.
  6. Allow to cool slightly before cutting into pieces.

Comments

Popular Posts