Black Bean and Corn Soup



I ended up making this soup unexpectedly the other night. I had planned on making a butternut chili, and when I realized the butternut squash that was in my fridge had gone bad (whoops) I had to think of a plan B for dinner.


I am so happy that the butternut squash I had bought had gone bad because if it hadn't, then I would have never discovered this amazing soup recipe. Both of my roommates went back for seconds the night I served this. It's delicious and is loaded with flavor.


Full of black beans, corn and tomatoes, this soup contains many vitamins and nutrients. I also served a few different healthy toppings along with this soup. They included light shredded Mexican cheese, avocado and baked whole wheat tortilla crisps.


You're going to love this soup. It has a little spice to it from salsa and sweetness from the corn. Adding each of the toppings I listed to it also add great texture and flavor. Enjoy!

Black Bean and Corn Soup:
(recipe slightly adapted from: http://www.theendlessmeal.com)

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup chipotle salsa (I got this at Trader Joe's)
1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained 
salt and pepper
Mexican shredded cheese (optional)
avocado (optional)
tortilla crisps (optional)
  1.  Heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and red pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
  2. Add the salsa, diced tomatoes, black beans and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
  3. Add in the corn and let simmer for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve. Top with cheese, avocado and tortilla crisps if desired.

Comments

Popular Posts