Chicken with Saffron Cream Sauce



I'll start off this post by saying that I will not be posting any new recipes for the next week because I will be in New Orleans! I am so excited to visit New Orleans for the first time this week and can't wait to share all of the food I get to try there with you when I get back!


Now I'll get to this great and delicious recipe. I made this chicken the other night and it was a huge hit with my family. It is extremely flavorful and is perfect served over a bed of cous cous.


The chicken is simply cooked in olive oil and the sauce is very easy to make. Simmered with shallots, garlic, white wine, chicken broth, cream and saffron, this sauce is made with simple ingredients but is loaded with wonderful flavor.


I know that saffron is expensive, but it is the main element in this dish. You only need to use a small amount and it lasts you a very long time. I think it is definitely worth the investment because the flavor it gives the sauce is so good!

Chicken with Saffron Cream Sauce:
(original recipe from: http://www.foodnetwork.com)

2 tablespoons olive oil
4 thin chicken cutlets
2 shallots, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup white wine
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
  1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season both sides of the chicken cutlets and cook in the olive oil until golden brown on both sides and cooked through.
  2. Remove the chicken from the pan once cooked through and transfer to a plate. Cover with tin foil to keep warm.
  3. To the same pan add the shallots and garlic and saute for about 2 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the white wine and cook until evaporated. Add in the chicken broth and saffron threads. Simmer for about 10 minutes, until the liquid has reduced by half.
  4. Add the cream, salt and pepper and cook for a couple more minutes. Pour the sauce over the chicken and garnish with fresh parsley. Serve and enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts