Black Bean and Corn Salad



It felt like spring here in Rhode Island yesterday. Sadly, the warmer weather is supposed to leave us today, but I took full advantage of it yesterday by taking a great 4 mile walk along the beach and making a springtime meal for dinner.


I am so lucky to attend a college where I get to live so close to the beach. The local beach is about 1 mile up the street from my house and when the weather is nice my boyfriend and I constantly go on walks there.





This corn and black bean salad is extremely easy and quick to make and is loaded with flavors that will remind you of warmer weather. I used canned black beans and corn and some fresh cherry tomatoes in this salad. It is so colorful, which also means it is full of nutrition.


Ground cumin, parsley and lime juice also add great flavor to this salad. It would pair great with almost any main dish, but it went particularly well with a portobello burger. Like I said, I was pretty much pretending it was spring/early summer yesterday, even though it was only about 48 degrees.


You are going to love this salad and I urge you to try it with a portobello burger. Portobellos are a great meat substitute and my boyfriend and I both agree that they are just as satisfying as a ground beef burger. 

All you do is toast some hamburger buns in the oven and cook the portobellos in a lightly oiled medium skillet over medium high heat. Cook both sides of the mushroom for about 3 minutes each, until the mushroom is tender. Serve the portobello on the bun with some lettuce and whatever else you like to put on your burger. Devour while thinking of warmer weather and enjoy!


Black Bean and Corn Salad:
(recipe slightly adapted from: http://thehealthyfoodie.com)

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained and rinsed
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 lime, juiced
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 avocado, diced
  1. Combine the black beans, corn, cherry tomatoes, cumin, salt, lime juice and parsley in a large bowl. Add in the avocado right before serving. Serve immediately or refrigerate before serving.

Comments

Popular Posts