Chipotle Cajun Shrimp Flatbread with Guacamole
When it comes to making pizzas I pretty much always cut corners and buy pre-made dough from Trader Joe's. This time I figured I would save a little money and make my own dough out of ingredients that I already had.
I followed the dough recipe that came along with this pizza recipe and the only change I made was using white whole wheat flour instead of all purpose. The dough ended up much like a flatbread dough, which added great texture and crunch to the pizza as a whole.
You can certainly make your own dough or buy some already made at the grocery store. I did cut corners when it came to the guacamole on this pizza. Trader Joe's has a delicious low calorie guacamole that is made with avocados and Greek yogurt. It was delicious with the slightly spicy shrimp.
This flatbread/pizza recipe is definitely a keeper. I would recommend cutting the shrimp up into bite sized pieces before putting it on the pizza because the full pieces of shrimp were difficult to eat. Other than that this pizza is perfect and I can't wait for you to try it!
Chipotle Cajun Shrimp Flatbread with Guacamole:
(recipe slightly adapted from: http://www.halfbakedharvest.com)
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup warm water
1 package active dry yeast
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons cornmeal (for the baking sheet)
- In a large bowl combine the yeast, water and honey. Mix to combine with a spoon and let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the flour and olive oil. Stir with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together but is still sticky. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes until it comes together into an elastic ball.
- Lightly oil a bowl and add the dough to the bowl, turning once to get oil on all sides of the dough. Put plastic wrap or a towel over the bowl and let the dough rise for an hour and a half in a warm place.
- When the dough is ready, preheat the oven to 375° and roll the dough out into a thin circle on a lightly floured surface. Transfer to a baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray and sprinkled with some cornmeal.
Chipotle Cajun Shrimp:
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
1 chipotle chile in adobo + 1 tablespoon adobo
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup mexican blend cheese
1 cup guacamole
- In a bowl combine the shrimp, olive oil, cajun seasoning, brown sugar, chipotle chile and adobo sauce, salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the shrimp. Place the shrimp in a single layer and let cook for 4 minutes on one side. Flip and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Remove the shrimp from the pan and cut the shrimp into bite sized pieces.
- Spread the guacamole evenly over the dough and top with 1/2 of the cheese. Top with the shrimp and add the rest of the cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the dough is slightly brown and crispy. Cut into pieces and serve.