Creamy Tomato Basil Soup with Crusty Grilled Cheese
I have to start off this post by saying that tonight was my first time ever having tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich. I've had tomato soup before and I've had grilled cheese before, but never together. I am now a huge fan of the combo!
The cold weather is back in Rhode Island and this was the perfect warming meal to have tonight. There is nothing better on a cold winter night than a big bowl of really hot soup with a gooey grilled cheese to dip in it.
I used whatever cheeses I had in my fridge to add to this grilled cheese, and you can definitely do the same. I had on hand some smoked gouda, parmesan and cheddar. The combination of the three go together great and all melt wonderfully.
The tomato soup recipe is also a winner. Cream cheese adds a little bit of creaminess while the roasted tomatoes and sun dried tomatoes add great layers of flavor. The basil is the perfect herb to finish off the soup, and what goes better with tomatoes than basil? It's a no brainer to add it to this soup.
I hope this meal can warm you up on one of these cold nights. It is simple and quick to make and will please anyone in your family. Enjoy!
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup:
(original soup recipe from: http://www.joyfulhealthyeats.com)
10 Roma tomatoes, halved and seeds removed
1 tablespoon + teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, diced
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Place the Roma tomatoes on the baking sheet and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and sea salt. Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Once the tomatoes are roasted heat the 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large stockpot over medium high heat. Saute the onions for about 5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add in the garlic and saute for another minute. Stir in the chicken stock, crushed tomatoes and sun dried tomatoes. Bring to a boil and add in the roasted tomatoes. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream cheese and basil and transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender. (You may want to do this in batches so the soup does not explode out of the blender.) Blend until the soup is creamy and pureed and serve!
Crusty Grilled Cheese:
Makes 4 servings:
8 slices crusty wheat bread
2 cups grated cheese (I used a mixture of smoked gouda, parmesan and cheddar)
1-2 tablespoons butter
- Put 1/2 cup of cheese onto one side of each of the 4 slices of bread. Place the other 4 slices on top to make 4 sandwiches.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and coat with the butter. Cook both sides of the sandwich for about 4-5 minutes each side, until golden brown and the cheese is melted. Cut in half and serve with the tomato basil soup.