Simple Eggs over Mashed Butternut Squash with a Balsamic Drizzle
This dish is so simple, fresh and delicious. I had some leftover mashed butternut squash in my fridge recently and thought some simple eggs and sauteed spinach would go perfectly over it for lunch. A flavorful balsamic glaze drizzled over the top is the perfect finish for this quick meal.
The balsamic drizzle that I used was also a leftover in my fridge from a Giada De Laurentiis pork tenderloin recipe. The recipe calls to make a roasted garlic balsamic sauce to drizzle over the pork, but after completing that meal, I had a lot of sauce leftover. I am still trying to figure out ways every day to use up the intensely balsamic and delicious sauce.
You can definitely make the roasted garlic balsamic sauce to put over your eggs, or just buy some balsamic glaze at your local store to drizzle over this meal. Either way, it is going to be so satisfying and flavorful!
I hope you enjoy this meal that I just happened to come up with from ingredients I had in my fridge. You can eat this for breakfast, lunch or dinner! It is packed with protein from the eggs and spinach and has so many vitamins from the butternut squash. Enjoy!
Simple Eggs over Mashed Butternut Squash with a Balsamic Drizzle:
(balsamic drizzle recipe from: http://www.foodnetwork.com)
1 butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 pound baby spinach
1 head garlic
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon water
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450° and cut the top off of the garlic head. Place the garlic onto tin foil and drizzle with a 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil. Wrap the garlic in the tin foil and roast for 60 minutes.
- Let the garlic cool for a few minutes and remove from the tin foil. Squeeze out the cloves of garlic into a blender. Add in the parsley and balsamic vinegar. Pulse until blended. Add in the extra virgin olive oil, sugar, water, salt and pepper. Pulse until the sauce is fully blended and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add in the butternut squash. Cook until the squash is tender and transfer with a slotted spoon to a food processor. Add some salt and pepper to the processor and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Saute the spinach until wilted and set aside.
- Spray the pan again and break the eggs into the skillet. Season with salt and pepper and let cook for about 3-4 minutes on one side. Flip the eggs and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- To assemble, put some of the mashed butternut squash onto a plate. Next, place some of the spinach on top of the squash and top that with 2 eggs. Finish off the dish with a drizzle of the balsamic sauce. Serve and enjoy!