Slightly Spicy Pumpkin Cheddar Muffins


The snow is back and once again I am sitting under a blanket while writing this blog post because my little beach house is freezing this morning! I am so sick of winter but we are supposed to get another huge snowstorm tomorrow. There is obviously no sign of winter ending anytime soon.


These pumpkin cheddar muffins offer a little bit of warmth and comfort on these cold and snowy days. They have a little bite and bit of spiciness from black pepper and cayenne pepper. It is very subtle but makes a huge difference in the flavor and experience of eating these muffins.


I love how cheesy and decadent these muffins are. I used the Tillamook cheese brand because I am slightly partial to it. The last time I visited my sister out in Oregon we visited the Tillamook cheese factory and ever since then I find myself buying their cheese. Their extra sharp cheddar works perfectly in this recipe.


You will love these muffins! They are cheesy, sweet from the pumpkin and slightly spicy from the black and cayenne peppers. I am thinking of using up some bacon I have in the fridge and making a bacon jam to go with these muffins. I know that is not very healthy, but it sure sounds delicious!

Slightly Spicy Pumpkin Cheddar Muffins:
(original recipe from: http://katieatthekitchendoor.com)

1 cup canned pumpkin puree
3 tablespoons full fat sour cream
2 eggs
1 stick butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated (plus extra for topping)
  1. Preheat the oven to 375° and spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. Mix together the pumpkin and sour cream until combined. Whisk in the butter and eggs and set aside.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, black pepper, baking powder and cayenne. Whisk in the brown sugar and then stir in the wet ingredients. (The batter will be thick). Stir in the grated cheese.
  4. Evenly distribute the batter into the muffin tins and top with the extra grated cheese. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly on a cooling rack and serve warm.

Comments

Popular Posts