Sweet Chicken Drumsticks with Sweet Potato and Apple Saute
I almost never make drumsticks. I find them hard to eat and they can certainly be messy! However, this recipe makes it very worth it for getting your hands and face a little sticky with a sweet mix of honey, soy sauce, brown sugar and balsamic vinegar.
I had to rush when it came to taking pictures of this meal. I hate not being able to take my time with photographs, but in this case I only made enough for myself and my boyfriend, so I was trying to get as many pictures as I could before my dinner got cold. Even though the pictures did not quite come out to my standards, I still wanted to post these recipes because they are so delicious!
The sweet potato and apple saute is an absolutely delicious and easy side dish. It has some sweetness that nicely compliments the slight sweetness of the drumsticks. It also adds great nutrition to the meal.
You are going to love this meal as a whole. The drumsticks and the saute go together perfectly and your family is going to devour every last bite. Enjoy!
Sweet Chicken Drumsticks:
(original recipe from: "Giada's Kitchen" cookbook)
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup honey
12 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
5 fresh rosemary sprigs
5 garlic cloves, halved
10-12 chicken drumsticks
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Combine the balsamic, honey, brown sugar, soy sauce, rosemary and garlic in a large bowl. Add in the drumsticks and toss to combine. Let marinade in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 450° and line a baking sheet with tin foil.
- Arrange the drumsticks on the baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes.
- Place the marinade in a saucepan and let simmer for 15 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- Once the drumsticks are done, brush them with the sauce and top with fresh parsley. Serve and enjoy!
Sweet Potato and Apple Saute:
(recipe slightly adapted from: "Fast, Fresh and Green" cookbook)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons chicken broth
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 medium sweet potatoes, unpeeled and diced
1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon salt
1 golden delicious apple, unpeeled and diced
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Combine the vinegar and broth in a small bowl and set aside
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and melt 1 tablespoon of butter with 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet. Add the sweet potatoes, onion and salt and saute for about 10 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the apple. Saute for another 10 minutes.
- Add in the ground ginger and stir to combine. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vinegar mixture and remaining 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Serve.