Cajun Chicken and Rice
Ever since traveling to New Orleans I have become addicted to cajun food. Jambalaya, gumbo, shrimp etouffee and the list goes on. I love the wonderful spice that cajun food has and I usually even add some dashes of tabasco to make it even spicier!
I found this cajun chicken and rice recipe on one of my favorite blogs, Half Baked Harvest. A great thing about this recipe is that where most cajun food has to be cooked slowly and usually takes a while to make, this meal is done in about 30 minutes. It is perfect to whip up on a busy weeknight.
This meal is also great because it is basically a one pot meal (not counting the pot you have to cook the rice in). By cooking the chicken and veggies in the same skillet you save a lot of time after dinner by not having to wash a million dishes.
Those hands in the background of the picture above are those of my boyfriend enjoying this meal just as much as I did. We both sat there in heaven while we chowed down on this meal that reminded us so much of our amazing New Orleans trip. I hope this meal transports you to the warm and wonderful city of New Orleans. Enjoy!
Cajun Chicken and Rice:
(original recipe from: http://www.halfbakedharvest.com)
1 cup basmati rice
2 cups water
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil
1-2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1/2 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Cook the rice according to package directions and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. In a large bowl mix together the chicken, cajun seasoning, brown sugar, paprika, cayenne and thyme. Add the chicken to the skillet in a single layer and cook for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce to the skillet and saute the chicken to cook the other sides. Once the chicken is cooked through, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the same skillet and add in the bell peppers, onion and garlic. Saute for about 10 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Add the chicken and diced tomatoes to the skillet and mix everything to combine.
- Add the rice to the skillet and mix to combine. Transfer the mixture to bowls and garnish with parsley. You can also serve this with some tabasco sauce which adds a little extra spice!