Fresh Mint and Cacao Energy Bites


I have become obsessed with making my own date energy bites. I was buying Larabars for a while and realized that I could easily make the bars myself. You'll save money by making your own energy bars and bites, and it is so much fun to get creative with different recipes and ingredients.


I had some fresh mint in my fridge that I needed to use and decided that the mint would be delicious when combined with nuts, dates and cacao powder! I recently discovered cacao powder, which is a ground powder made from pure and raw cacao beans. It is extremely rich and delicious.


I feel like I am indulging in a candy bar when I eat these energy bites, they are that chocolatey and delicious. I had my first one today after my hour long and very intense workout. It was the perfect recovery food (along with a big glass of vanilla almond milk).


Along with cacao powder I have also started eating cacao nibs. You can get both of these ingredients at your local health food store. However, I have found that my local Home Goods carries cacao nibs for about $6 a bag compared to my local health food store where a bag is about $15! What a savings!


These bars are just about as packed with fiber and nutrients as you can get. The dates alone contribute fiber, vitamins A and K, potassium, iron and a whole host of other good for you components. The nuts and surprisingly cacao powder, also contribute a lot of fiber and protein. Fresh mint is also high in magnesium, potassium, iron and calcium. Talk about getting tons of your daily nutrition in one little bite!


These are by far my favorite energy bite I have made so far. They are first off super rich and chocolatey, which I of course love! They have just a hint of mint and are very dense and a little chewy. You will feel like you're indulging in a dessert when you eat one of these, but your body will actually love and thank you for feeding it such a delicious and extremely nutritious little bite! Enjoy!


Fresh Mint and Cacao Energy Bites:

1 cup pitted dates (about 13 dates)
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 cups walnuts
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
2 tablespoons cacao powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Grind the almonds and walnuts in the food processor until finely chopped. Add in the dates and blend until the dates are well combined with the nuts.
  2. Add in the mint leaves, cacao powder and vanilla and blend until a ball starts to form. Press the mixture into a coconut oil greased pan and press to flatten and level the top. Place in the fridge for about 2 hours until the mixture is firm and cut into 8 pieces. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts