Kumquat and Lemon Buttermilk Sorbet


I went to Trader Joe's last week and saw that they had kumquats for sale. I had never tried a kumquat before so I decided to spontaneously buy them and give them a try.


I discovered that kumquats taste like a more tart version of an orange. They are very delicious, but somewhat annoying to eat because they are so small and have little seeds throughout them. I found myself not snacking on them like I thought I would be and decided to turn them into something that I would eat. Hence, this sorbet recipe was born!


Although it was very time consuming to deseed and strain the kumquats, all the work and time was extremely well worth it. Seriously, this is one of the best sorbets I've ever had. It has a slight tartness from the citrus, but is extremely creamy from the buttermilk. It is everything you want a sorbet to be.


I also highly suggest adding a little bit of plain vodka to this recipe. It has kept the sorbet extremely creamy and easy to scoop even after being in my freezer for a few days now. You can't taste alcohol in this sorbet at all, it just helps the sorbet keep a creamy texture, so don't be scared.

You are going to love this recipe! I have already almost finished it off and I am definitely going to make another batch very soon. Enjoy!


Kumquat and Lemon Buttermilk Sorbet:
(recipe inspired from: http://justagoodrecipe.blogspot.ca/)

1 pint kumquats
2 lemons, juiced
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons vodka (optional)
  1. Cut the kumquats in half and remove the seeds. Add the kumquats to a blender and puree until the kumquats have broken down. Strain the kumquat mixture to get the kumquat juice and discard the pulp.
  2. Mix the lemon juice with the kumquat juice and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl whisk the sugar and buttermilk together until the sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes. Add in the juice mixture, vanilla extract and vodka (if using) to the buttermilk mixture. The vodka is helpful to use in this recipe because it keeps the sorbet from forming ice crystals and keeps it creamy.
  4. Whisk the mixture together until combined and pour into your ice cream machine. Churn according to directions. Serve immediately or store in an air tight container in your freezer for up to 2 weeks.

Comments

Popular Posts