Meyer Lemon Buttermilk Cupcakes


I couldn't wait to make some sort of cake or cupcake today to show off my new pastel cake stand and plates. I've been going home the past few weekends and my mom and I have been going to a local antique market that has a multitude of wonderful antique shops.


I found this extremely pink and extremely pretty cake stand at the antique market for only $20! I also got a set of 15 large and small pastel plates for $30! You can find some great dishware at antique markets for very cheap. 


I also went to Trader Joe's while I was home and picked up some meyer lemons. I have never used meyer lemons before because I never seem to notice them in grocery stores. They must be in season if Trader Joe's now has them in stock and that was all the reason I needed to give them a try.


I am so happy that I made the impulse decision to buy the lemons. They add such a unique and sweet flavor to these cupcakes. You can definitely use regular lemons, but if you can find meyer lemons I definitely encourage you to use them.


These are the perfect cupcakes to make to celebrate the beginning of spring this coming week. They are very simple to make and made from scratch cupcakes always taste so much better than cupcakes from a box.


The glaze on top of these cupcakes is also delicious. By simply whisking some powdered sugar, meyer lemon juice and buttermilk together you end up with an addictive glaze. I caution you to be careful while making this glaze because you may end up eating some out of the bowl.

 

These cupcakes will also be a perfect dessert to make for Easter. You can bake the batter in a pretty bundt or cake pan if you prefer, or make them into individual cupcakes like I have. 

These cupcakes are so lemony, sweet and help me get through these still cold winter days while waiting for the warm spring weather to come! I hope you make these and they help to remind you of the warm weather that is in all of our futures. Enjoy!


Meyer Lemon Buttermilk Cupcakes:
(original recipe from: http://thegingersnapgirl.blogspot.com)

Cupcakes:

3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons meyer lemon zest
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 stick butter, at room temperature
3 tablespoons meyer lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 cup low fat buttermilk
  1. Preheat the oven to 350° and grease a muffin tin.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
  3. In a large bowl mix together the lemon zest and sugar. Add in the butter and beat with a hand mixer until fluffy.
  4. Add in the lemon juice and vanilla extract and beat until incorporated.
  5. Add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after adding each egg. Next, add in the flour mixture in 3 parts and the buttermilk in 2 parts. You will start and end with the flour mixture. Make sure all of the ingredients are well incorporated.
  6. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin tin and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the cupcakes are baked through.
  7. Let cool for about 5 minutes in the pan. Then remove them from the pan and transfer them to a cooling rack to completely cool.
Glaze:

1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon buttermilk
3 teaspoons meyer lemon juice
  1. Whisk together the sugar, buttermilk and lemon juice.
  2. After the cupcakes have completely cooled, drizzle the glaze over the top of the cupcakes.

Comments

Popular Posts