Pesto and Balsamic Potato Salad


It finally feels like spring today! It's supposed to be in the mid 50s today and I could not be more excited. One of my favorite things to do to enjoy the warm weather is go on long walks with my boyfriend on our local bike path. We are definitely planning on doing that later today, I can't wait!


This potato salad is one of the best ways to welcome spring and the upcoming summer. I have been making so much pesto lately because I keep ending up with fresh basil that I need to use up. I'll plan a recipe that uses basil and the recipe will always only end up using a small amount of basil and I'll be left with so much extra. 


This recipe is a perfect and delicious one to use up any basil you have laying around in your fridge. I am always looking for new recipes to use up pesto because it is one of my favorite sauces to make. I can't even imagine how much pesto I'm going to have to make once I start growing basil this summer.


I served this with an amazing tilapia recipe from one of my cookbooks from Ireland. I feel like I am always mentioning these particular cookbooks in this blog because they have some of the best recipes I have ever come across. You can purchase the Avoca cafe cookbooks here.


Back to describing how delicious this potato salad is. I have never thought to add balsamic vinegar to a potato salad that is already dressed with pesto. The homemade pesto recipe I have linked you to below is extremely flavorful and I thought it would be able to completely carry this side dish. Let me tell you, add the balsamic!


Adding the balsamic vinegar to this dish actually creates a subtle sweetness that really makes this dish extra special. It does not add the harsh vinegar taste that you think it would. 

This potato dish is a beautiful side dish that will wow your family and friends. It is also a wonderful dish to serve at your Easter dinner this year. It may be making an appearance at mine. Enjoy this dish and this beautiful weather!


Pesto and Balsamic Potato Salad:
(recipe adapted from: http://smittenkitchen.com)

2 pounds fingerling potatoes
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add in the potatoes. Let boil until tender, about 10 minutes and drain. Slightly dry the potatoes with a towel and transfer to a large bowl.
  2. Add the pesto and balsamic to the potatoes and mix to combine. Garnish with the pine nuts and serve!

Comments

Popular Posts