Skillet Buttermilk Biscuits


I make biscuits about once a week because my boyfriend loves to have them for breakfast. I either serve them with some local honey drizzled over the top with a side of eggs or I'll make him egg and sausage sandwiches with them.


I actually have never made biscuits in a cast iron skillet before. I usually bake them on a baking sheet, which you can certainly do if you don't have a skillet. However, after baking them in the skillet, I don't think I'll ever use a baking sheet again.


I love that these biscuits bake right in hot butter. They get very golden brown and crispy on the bottom and stay flaky and moist on the inside. They have a great texture and taste absolutely decadent. I am planning on serving them tomorrow night with cajun redfish and roasted tomatoes. I sure can't wait for that dinner!

The next time you're looking for a great biscuit recipe, turn to this one. These are sure to please everyone and anyone that you will be serving them to. Enjoy!


Skillet Buttermilk Biscuits:
(recipe slightly adapted from: http://naturalmamax4.blogspot.com/)

2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup butter, cut into cubes
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup almond milk
1-2 tablespoons butter (for skillet)
  1. Preheat the oven to 375°.
  2. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add in the butter and mix with your hands until the mixture resembles coarse sand and the butter has broken down into pea sized pieces.
  3. Add in the milk and buttermilk and mix with your hands until the dough just comes together. Don't overmix.
  4. Put a tablespoon of butter into a cast iron skillet and put it in the hot oven until the butter melts. Form even sized balls of the dough, I got 6 biscuits, and place them in the skillet on top of the melted butter. I had to bake 3 biscuits at a time because my skillet is small.
  5. Bake the biscuits for 17-20 minutes, until the tops are crispy and slightly golden brown. Remove from the skillet and let cool on a cooling rack. Serve warm or store in an air tight container.

Comments

Popular Posts