Zucchini Turkey Burgers with Sun Dried Tomato Pesto



I've been loving this spring weather we've been experiencing in New England this past week. It is extremely depressing, however, to know that by tomorrow it will be back in the 30s and by Wednesday it will be snowing! I am not happy about that at all.


I decided to take advantage of the nice weather and make a meal that reminds me of the summertime. I make turkey burgers all the time in the summer with the fresh zucchini we grow in our garden and this turkey burger brought back memories of summer.


I love how certain foods can bring back good memories when you enjoy them and this turkey burger did that for me. This was the first time that I topped my turkey burger with a homemade sun dried tomato pesto, and I honestly don't think I'll ever top one with ketchup again.


The pesto adds an amazing flavor to the already juicy burger. My boyfriend said that this turkey burger was his favorite that I have ever made, and he has tried a lot of my turkey burgers.


The fresh parsley in the turkey burger and in the pesto helps to tie the whole burger together. I love the freshness that parsley adds to a recipe. I am so excited because I just bought a fresh parsley plant at my local farmer's market yesterday and I am nurturing it in my window sill. I can't wait until it grows enough that I can start picking and using it in my recipes.


After my boyfriend and I enjoyed our burgers, that I served with simple roasted broccoli, we went on a quick walk around our neighborhood. I took this picture down by the ocean and the sky was gorgeous. This picture doesn't even do justice to how pretty the scenery was. I am so lucky to live in such a beautiful place where I can enjoy sunsets like this every night.


Zucchini Turkey Burgers with Sun Dried Tomato Pesto:

Zucchini Turkey Burgers:

1 pound ground turkey
1 medium zucchini, grated
1/2 onion, grated
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 whole grain hamburger buns
  1. Preheat the oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with tin foil.
  2. Spray a large skillet with non-stick spray and heat over medium high heat. In a large bowl mix together the zucchini, onion, garlic and parsley. Add in the ground turkey, salt and pepper and mix to combine. Form the mixture into 4 patties.
  3. Place the patties into the skillet and let cook for about 5-7 minutes on one side. Flip the patties and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Transfer the patties to the baking sheet and bake for another 5 minutes in the oven, just to make sure they are cooked through.
  4. I also like to place my hamburger buns onto a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 5 minutes. Place the patties onto the burger buns and top with the pesto recipe below.

Sun Dried Tomato Pesto:

1 jar sun dried tomatoes in oil
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
salt and pepper
  1. Add all of the ingredients into a food processor and blend until combined and the mixture is smooth. Put on top of your burgers and enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts