Chocolate Baked Donut Holes


Yesterday was my last day of my internship at the YMCA that I needed to complete in order to graduate in a couple of weeks. I still can't believe that I'm going to be graduating college so soon and heading to New York City in a couple of months to go to culinary school. It is all happening so fast and is very nerve wracking, but extremely exciting!


As a little celebration of completing my internship and basically completing all of my college responsibilities, I decided to treat myself to some donuts this morning! (Baked of course).


My boyfriend and I were discussing recently how much we love munchkins and we were talking about which munchkin flavors are our favorites. We agreed we both love chocolate glazed and plain glazed. I decided to make baked chocolate and plain donut holes and instead of glazing mine in sugar, I opted to dip them in some protein packed Greek yogurt and peanut butter. You can eat your donut holes however you please.


I did not include the recipe for the plain donut holes because all you have to do in order to make a plain one is leave out the cocoa powder in the recipe posted below. It's that simple! Also, to make a powdered sugar glaze you just mix about 1 cup of powdered sugar with 2 tablespoons of heavy cream or milk and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Yum!

These donut holes will last a few days in the fridge and I even think they are delicious as a little snack straight out of the fridge if your sweet tooth hits you in the middle of the day.


Although these donut holes may not be fried and have more of a cake like texture than a munchkin from a donut shop, they are a great and healthy alternative to traditional fried munchkins. They satisfy my craving for a munchkin that's for sure. Enjoy!

Chocolate Baked Donut Holes:
(original recipe slightly adapted from: http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/)

2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 cup coconut sugar (or granulated sugar)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup almond milk
1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
  1. Preheat the oven to 350° and grease a cake pop pan with coconut oil non-stick cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, almond milk, Greek yogurt and vanilla extract until combined. Slowly whisk in the butter until combined. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix.
  4. Fill one half of your cake pop pan with the batter and secure the other half of your pan on top. Bake for 10 minutes and let the donuts cool slightly before serving. I like to serve mine with a Greek yogurt dipping sauce made with Greek yogurt with some creamy peanut butter mixed in. 

Comments

Popular Posts