Pea Scallion Pesto and Spicy Tofu on Toast
This spicy, sweet and crunchy tofu toast recipe came about yesterday while I was trying to figure out what I wanted for dinner. I had a block of tofu that I wanted to use before the long holiday weekend coming up, and I also had some scallions and peas I wanted to use up. Therefore, this unique yet delicious recipe was born!
This toast is packed with nutrition, vitamins and protein, making it perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner or a snack! I actually enjoyed it for dinner last night and went back for more this afternoon for a snack.
The homemade spice mixture that goes onto the tofu is not overly spicy (but of course the more you add, the more spicy the tofu will become). The mixture gives the tofu a great depth of flavor from the paprika, garlic powder and cayenne, but does not overpower the sweet pesto underneath. The sweet and spicy combo goes together perfectly, and the slight crunch from the toast makes this such a satisfying meal. Enjoy!
Pea Scallion Pesto and Spicy Tofu on Toast:
1 cup peas
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup fresh parsley
salt and pepper
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray and cook the peas over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add the peas, scallions, parsley, olive oil, salt and pepper to a food processor and blend until well combined.
1 block firm tofu, finely diced
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- In a small bowl mix together the spices.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Add the tofu and the spice mix and saute for about 3-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
4 slices Ezekiel bread, toasted
pea and scallion pesto
- Spread 1-2 tablespoons of the pesto on one side of the toast. Top with some of the tofu and repeat with the remaining slices of toast. Enjoy!