Carbonara with Pan Seared Scallops
I try to cook mostly low fat and low calorie meals, but my boyfriend was over my house for dinner the other night and I decided to make a special decadent meal for him.
This was one of the most delicious scallop dishes I have made in a while. The bacon that always accompanies a traditional carbonara also pairs so well with scallops. I decided to use egg noodles in this dish because I like the thickness and richness of them compared to spaghetti noodles.
This dish is perfect to make when having party or if you just want to make a special dinner like I did. I served it with my garlic and herb pita bread and a nice green salad. My boyfriend was a very happy man once he finished this meal.
Carbonara with Pan Seared Scallops:
(original recipe from: http://artandthekitchen.blogspot.ca)
16 large scallops
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
8 slices thick cut bacon, diced
1 shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, whole
4 scallions, chopped
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup cream
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the pasta. Cook until al dente and drain.
- In a small bowl mix together the cream, egg yolks and 3/4 cup of the parmesan.
- In a large skillet cook the bacon until crisp. Add the shallot and the scallions.
- Add the garlic to the bacon. Turn off the heat, remove the clove of garlic and begin to cook the scallops.
- Salt and pepper both sides of the scallops.
- Heat a large skillet and add the olive oil.
- Add the scallops and cook for about 4 minutes on one side. Flip the scallops and add the butter. Cook for another 4 minutes, or until the scallops are cooked through.
- Turn the heat back on for the skillet with the bacon and add the pasta to the skillet. Once the pasta and bacon mixture is reheated transfer to a large bowl and stir in the cream mixture. Serve 3-4 scallops over each serving of the carbonara and sprinkle each serving with the remaining parmesan cheese.