Apple, Walnut and Blue Cheese Salad with a Cheddar Grilled Cheese


It's my boyfriend's birthday today and I of course have been feeding him all day. I tend to show my love through food and cooking for people not only makes them happy, but it brings me happiness too.


I started his birthday morning with homemade raspberry pop tarts for breakfast (requested by him). After getting home from my internship I made him his favorite apple salad and a grilled cheese. This salad is so fresh and delicious and goes perfectly with a simple and buttery cheddar grilled cheese.


This lunch is great for when you need a filling, nutritious and quick lunch in the middle of the day. The grilled cheese takes about 5-8 minutes to make and while it is grilling you can throw together the simple salad. All of the ingredients are fresh and good for you!


I am looking forward to the rest that this day has to offer. We may go out to dinner (because I have been cooking and working on a chocolate trifle all day) but it's up to him whether or not he wants to stay in or go out. I love celebrating birthdays and I hope I'm making my boyfriend's day the best and most special it can be. Happy birthday Steve!

Apple, Walnut and Blue Cheese Salad with a Cheddar Grilled Cheese:

2 cups baby spinach
1 apple, diced
2 tablespoons dried cranberries
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
2-3 tablespoons blue cheese
2 slices wheat bread
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
butter

  1. To make the sandwich: heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, spread some butter onto the skillet. Put the cheese onto one slice of the bread and top with the other slice. Place onto the buttered skillet and cook for 5-7 minutes on one side, flip and cook for the same amount of time on the other side. Cut in half and serve.
  2. To make the salad: combine the spinach, apple, dried cranberries, walnuts, blue cheese and dressing in a bowl. Plate and serve alongside the sandwich. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts